This post was written 6/20/12 but somehow I forgot to attach the last picture and hit post! Here it is, belated:
The first major task we took over for our yard, besides the never-ending weeding, was to work on our edibles. Every year, we like to go to the Tilth Edible Plant sale in May. Their plant starts are largely nursery grown, which mean our "babies" have needed tender attention. We put them in the garage at night and carried them out each morning for their yard time. Meanwhile, we turned our attention to building them a home.
Sometime back in April, my sister came to help us out in the yard (her smaller yard having been exhausted of weeds) and when the rain and wind kicked up, she obliged by driving us to Lowe's to buy the wood for our vegetable bed. It's a lot easier to transport eight foot long lumber in an SUV than wedging it in a Mazda 6 or Protege. The lumber sat in our garage for too long, but finally near the end of May, we started building. We followed these instructions when constructing our bed(s), except I wanted to make the long boards overlap at the end for a square corner. We skipped putting any sort of hardware cloth in the bottom.
We decided the best spot for our vegetable beds was on the south side of the house where they would get full sun. I wanted to put them in the yard space between the fence and the driveway so that in the future when we get a dog, we can let it run around the yard and have no fear of it nosing into the food. We planned for only one bed but figured there was space to expand in future years for one or two more. We spaced the bed about 40" from the fence as we think in future years, we'll dig up along the fence and use it as a support for growing peas.
|Initial 4x4 foot area dug up for the bed's base.|
|Left: HUGE pile of soil from Cedar Grove; Right: J showing me how|
he wedges the rake under the wheelbarrow to make it easier on the back.
|Ta-Da! The vegetables all tucked in their new beds.|